Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mushrooms & sweet Potatoes

Last night I had a little extra time to get dinner and wanted to change things up a bit so the dinner plates don't look exactly the same every night. :-) Well, that kind of a mood is when my kitchen turns into a science lab and occasionally what comes out isn't half bad. So here are two brand-new, straight out of my head recipes that I served last night and what I learned from them.


Mushroom Sauce

Approx. 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, chopped small the white & light green parts
1 clove elephant ear garlic sliced thin (A vegetable peeler works GREAT for this)
8 oz. of mushrooms sliced

Add these ingredients and sauté until nicely browned. Then add

2T white wine vinegar
1/8 cup white wine

Continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed then add

1/4 cup cream
Kosher salt to taste

Cook stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Serve over brown rice or potatoes immediately


*What I learned on this recipe:


Be careful how much oil you use. You need a little to keep things from sticking but if you use to much the mushrooms absorb it all and the dish turns out greasy. Also, be sure to use olive oil or a sparing amount of Natural butter. I tired another form of fat and it did not mix well with the other ingredients.



Spice Garlic Sweet Potatoes

3 cups sweet potatoes
3-4 cloves roasted garlic
1 teaspoon cilantro
1 teaspoon parsley
1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Kosher salt & Pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. If desired add 1/8 cup cream

NOTE:  I started with cold sweet potatoes so I added all ingredients except cream & warmed them in my steamer. Then I mixed the cream in right before serving

*What I learned from this recipe:


Make sure you don't over do the spice. With only 2 cups of sweet potatoes this was to spice for one family member but just right for another, it depends on your tastes. Add more sweet potatoes if to spice & I added the cream to cut the heat a bit.

No comments: